Senior prosecutor further remanded

Runesu Gwidi, Masvingo Correspondent

CHIVI senior prosecutor, who is facing three counts of criminal abuse of office, has been further remanded.

Nixon Chamisa (36), on Thursday appeared before Masvingo Magistrate Candice Kasere, who remanded him out of custody on $50 bail pending his trial on February 18.

Chamisa, who is being represented by Mr Phillip Shumba of Mutendi, Mudisi and Shumba Law Chambers, allegedly connived with two robbery suspects Promise Mlazi and Oswell Charamba to unlawfully and unprocedurally release an exhibit vehicle that was held at Mashava Police Station.

Chamisa allegedly used fake documentation to instruct the police station to release the vehicle that was used by the suspects to ferry their contraband.


On the second count, Chamisa allegedly communicated with the same criminal suspects who were on police wanted list to play truant.

Thirdly, Chamisa allegedly connived with the suspects to default the court hearing.

Prosector Moreblessing Rusere told the court that on February 12, 2019 Mlazi and Charamba masqueraded as police officers and went on a robbery spree using a vehicle. They were eventually arrested following a tip-off from the public.

The court then granted them each a bail of $40.

While they were out on bail Chamisa allegedly used fake court indemnity forms to instruct the Officer in Charge Mashava Police to release the exhibit vehicle in his custody.

The State alleges that Chamisa notified witnesses and the two suspects that the court date had been postponed to March 19, 2019 without prior approval by the court.

The court also heard that on March 19, the two suspects did not even enter into the courtroom but simply got into Chamisa’s office and vanished.

State witnesses in the case were stunned to learn that the suspects had disappeared just after entering into Chamisa’s office.

The accused pair was spotted at Chivi turn-off by the witnesses. The witnesses then advised police officers who launched a manhunt for the culprits and eventually arrested one of the suspects, Charamba.

Police discovered that prosecutor Chamisa had long been using his phone to communicate with the suspects who were on wanted list and arrested him.