Her condition suddenly deteriorated on Monday evening when she suffered a stroke, and she died at around 11 PM at the West End Clinic in Harare.
Below are 10 things you probably did not know about the veteran reporter:
- She was trained in Russia;
- Makwanya joined ZBC on June 1, 1990 as a reporter;
- She was in the Presidential team from 1997 and was promoted on October 11, 2001 to Diplomatic Correspondent, a position she held until her death;
- Makwanya was born on 22 October 1963;
- Her full name is Judith Tendesai Makwanya;
- She was on both the US and European Union sanctions list;
- Grain Millers Association of Zimbabwe threatened to sue her over a news story;
- In 2018 at a function organized in Harare by an elite horse-racing club called the Republic Cup, Judith Makwanya approached Defence Minister and ZANU-PF chairperson Oppah Zvipange Muchinguri-Kashiri and complained that since the departure of Robert Mugabe, she and her other work colleagues were being sidelined from her job by ruling party hawks;
- She was named in a leaked WhatsApp chat of a group of ZBC employees which revealed ZBC journalists using explicit language to attack the administration of President Mnangagwa administration. View the leaked WhatsApp story HERE.;
- Mourners are gathered at 98 Zambezi Flats in Harare.