Newly appointed Information Technology Minister Kazembe Kazembe has dissolved the board of the first cellular network operator in Zimbabwe NetOne under unclear circumstances.
At the same time, fired NetOne board recently suspended company CEO Lazarus Muchenje, who ironically is due to appear before a disciplinary committee on Wednesday. The move could see corruption accused Supa Mandiwanzira facing justice.
Sam Kundishora, the permanent secretary in the ministry, said the dissolution was with immediate effect, adding that a new board would be appointed soon.
Kazembe took over from Supa Mandiwanzira as minister last month.
The developments came on Tuesday as the Mnangagwa government cracked down on officials of the company that has been in the news lately for all the wrong reasons including corruption and nepotism.
Former NetOne CEO Reward Kangai, who was forced out by Mandiwanzira after an audit report accused him of corruption, welcome the sacking of the board at the state-owned mobile network.
“The new ICT minister has performed a great task by firing that incompetent board mainly comprising Supa’s proxies, who long abandoned their fiduciary duties to NetOne, if they have had, choosing instead to serve the interests of Supa,” Kangai said on Twitter.
He said the removal of the board “opens the way for unravelling the goings on at NetOne for almost four years now. Truth, like water, will come to the surface now.”